SOCIO-DEMOGRAPHIC AND CLINICAL VARIABLES IN PATIENTS WITH DEPRESSION

Arpita Thakur, Pali Rastogi, Vijay Niranjan, Rajeev Lohokare

Abstract


Background: “DEPRESSION” is one of the leading causes of morbidity among psychiatric illness. Depressive disorders beset one of five women and one of ten men at some time during their lives. Globally approx. 322 million people were affected by depression in 2015. Methodology: In this study we compared 100 healthy normal individuals and 100 depressive patients, from Department of Psychiatry, Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Medical College and M. Y. Hospital, Indore. The result values of both the groups were compared by using SPSS 23 for windows were used for data analysis. Results: The mean age of the study sample was 34.56 (±12.28) years. The age group 26-35 years (38%), followed by 15-25 years (28%) had the maximum number of patients. Females constituted 61% of the total patients and the rest were males (39%). 66.1% and 33.9% patients were rural and urban dwellers, respectively. 69% patients were married, while 29% patients were unmarried, 2% patients were widowed. 22% of the studied population were literate up to middle class followed by 20% up to higher secondary. Most of the patients (61%) belonged to lower socioeconomic class. Conclusion: The results of the present study highlight specific individual, academic and other socio demographic and clinical variable of the subjects associated with the presence of depressive symptoms.


Keywords


DEPRESSION, psychiatric illness, Psychiatry

Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.