STUDY OF THE DISTRIBUTION OF MALASSEZIA SPECIES IN PATIENTS WITH PITYRIASIS VERSICOLOR IN NORTH KERELA, INDIA.

Dr Remya V. S., Arun B

Abstract


 Background: Pityriasis versicolor (PV) is a fungal infection prevalent in tropical countries caused by different species of genus Malassezia. Although PV is common in north Kerala, there is little information regarding their species distribution in PV patients from this geographical area. Objective: To spot a light on the distribution of the prevalent species of Malassezia in PV cases in north Kerala, India. Methods:  Skin scrapings collected from a total number of 450 different body sites of 422 PV cases attending dermatology outpatient department of a tertiary care hospital were studied. All samples were cultured on to modified Dixons agar ( mDixon’s agar) and incubated at 32ο C for seven days. Colonies formed were subjected to speciation. Statistical analysis was done. Result: Out of 450 sites sampled, culture positivity in mDixon’s agar was 82.44%. Pure growth of   single Malassezia spp was obtained with 84.37% cases  and the remaining 15.63% yielded a mixed growth of two Malassezia spp., Of the seven species isolated, M.globosa (49.18%) was the most prevalent species isolated, followed by, M.furfur  (23.54%), M. restricta (18.18%),M.sympodialis 27 (6.29%), M.slooffiae (1.34%), M obtusa (0.93%), M.pachydermatis (0.47%). The various species combinations in mixed culture found in this study were M.globosa + M. restricta, M.globosa + M.furfur and M.globosa + M.sympodialisConclusion:  In the present study, out of the seven species  isolated M.globosa  showed the highest detection rate and shown to be the most prevalent species, followed by M.furfur, M.restricta, M.sympodialis , M.obtusa and M.pachydermatis. This study also showed the coexistence of two species of Malassezia from the same sampling lesional site.


Keywords


Pityriasis versicolor, Malassezia, modified Dixons agar

Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.